Friday 21 September 2018

Chapter 17: Happy birthday!

Ouch. Today is the second anniversary of this build blog. And I wanted to be done in eight months!

It has been a reasonably productive week.


First I have done the first pass of work on the 17 straight 'A' Keys. That way I can start doing the quiet work of fitting them in the evenings. Next job is the Tailpiece.


There needs to be at least a 96mm length between the Bridge and the Fine Tuner mounting points to allow for the Strings windings, so some carefull measuring has to be done. Also there needs to be a hook at the bottom of the Nyckelharpa's body.

An hour of setting up the band saw cutting an inch, resetting the band saw, cutting another inch, putting the blade back on the band saw and cutting some more followed. This is tough wood and my band saw would appear to be unequal to the challenge, or I need better instructions on how to set it up!


 Now I have cut the side profile on the band saw you can see what I mean about the hook.


After the second trip to the band saw it now looks much more like a Tailpiece. There is still a lot of shaping to do but at least I don't need to fight the band saw again!

The sacry thing here is the size of that hook. I'm told that each of the sixteen Strings is going to have a tension of about 10kg on them. 16 x 10kg = 160kg. That's the weight of two household washing machines! So, theoretically speaking, I need to be able to dangle two washing machines off that hook!


In honor of the second anniversary I thought I'd make a comparison.


This is how we began two years ago! All those bits of wood laid out so nicely.


And the comparison view today. There's just the three remaining 'A' keys, the Tangents, and the Sound Post to cut down (I can get two out of the supplied piece of wood), and the Strings to fit.

That's it for this time. I'm off to carry on the celebrations and we'll see how things go over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment