Sunday 26 February 2017

Chapter 9: At last, it really looks like progress.

I've made some good progress over the last week.
Firstly, as promised, I have cut the Peghead of the Neck. I started by copying my Tuning plan on to the back of the Neck and then clamped the Reinforcement Block in place on top. I then drilled holes for the four Tuning Pegs through both parts, and then drilled four holes that are the ends of the two Guitar Tuner slots. After separating the Neck and Reinforcement Block, I cut the slots out of the neck using my newly aquired Japanese razor saw. I also cut the neck down to it's new length with some nice curves using the band saw. I then drilled all the holes for the two Guitar Tuners. Each has seven small holes for the fixing screws, and six 6mm holes for the Tuners to pass into the Neck. Yes, my pillar drill has earned it's keep!

I also started work on the two Keychest sides so I could glue the parts together at the same time as the body.
Both sides have two Keyguides, one for the upper row of keys and one for the middle and lower keys, a Top Cover to hold the upper keys in, Reinforcements, and an Attachment Plate. The left side also has a side cover as well.
I cut the Saddle and Left Side Cover to match the height of the Right Keyguides on their Attachment Plate. The right side only has one Reinforcement that I cut down to length. The left side has two Reinforcments that were supplied to me as one piece of wood with the cuts roughly marked out. I measured the Left Keyguides and redrew and cut the wood to the new shapes. One is just a rectangle and goes at the Saddle end of the Keychest, the other is a shape made from two steps that matches the space without keys.

The glue I'm using is hide glue from The Viloin Company and was prepared following their instructions. One part glue granules to four parts fresh water, stired at room temperature for 15 minutes in a small glass. I put hot water in a cheap small slow cooker on full heat to keep the temperature at 90C and stood the glue glass in the hot water for 45 minutes. The glue should then be ready to use and a little goes a long way. The instructions suggest working in a warm, draft free room, and keeping the wood warm too. I used a cheap brush to paint the glue on to the joints.

I started by glueing the two Body Sides to the End Block working in a flat surface to make sure the two joints lined up and were square before clamping them tight together. I promise you that was a lot easier to type than to do! I then glued the Neck into the space at the other end of the Body Sides, this time with the added fun of keeping the top of the Neck in line with the End Block.

The first job then was to take it back to the bandsaw and cut off the clamp blocks from the ends of the Body Sides, and then tidy up the joints. I laid the Body on the Back and made sure that the two are in good contact all the way round. I then worked out where to put the joining pegs and drilled the one hole in the End Block and a corrisponding hole in the Back. I put a peg through the back and the End Block to line them up while I drilled the holes for the two pegs in the Neck.
With the Back and Body in fixed alignment I drew the outline of the Body on the Back, and then it was the Back's turn to visit the bandsaw. I was then ready to glue these two together. While I had the glue mixed I glued the Reinforcement to the side of the Right Lower Keyguide, then the two Reinforcements and the Left Lower Keyguide. Finaly I glued the Left Upper Keyguide onto the Lower Keyguide. Then I could take a 24 hour break while the glue set.
Here's the clamp I built up to join the Body and Back. It didn't work as easily as I hoped, but it did do the job. I think the wooden dowl I used to make the clamp heads wasn't big enough.
This shows the Keychest, Saddle, and Reinforcement Block laid out on the table as they will sit on the Neck. I still haven't started carving the Reinforcement Block yet, but I have drilled out and screwed together the two Keyguides now. The left side just has small screws attaching the the Top Cover to the Upper Keyguide. The right side is more fun as there are longer screws attaching the Top Cover through the Upper Keyguide to the Lower Keyguide.
This is the reverse view with the Side Cover laid down showing the Keyguide Reinforcements.

Next job: Carve and sand down the top of the Body to fit the Top. Sounds fun.... not!

No comments:

Post a Comment