Sunday 13 November 2016

Chapter 5: And so it begins.

The day has finally come! It really happened! I have actually made a start on the Nyckelharpa!

I know, you were begining to think this day was never going to get here and it was all another internet sucker, but I'm happy to say it's not.


See! Here's the Nyckelharpa's Neck now unattached from the End Block. I'm glad to say my curve cutting skills are improving a bit now. The observant ones will remember that the long curved cut under the Neck was already there when I uploaded the first photo of the wood and parts collection when I started this blog. That was how the wood was supplied to me and was a rather rough cut, so I had to put my curve cutting skills to practice by triming it back to the line a bit more. I also cut the inside curve at the base of the Neck having traced it from the drawings. So the general shape of the Neck is ready, although I do still need to choose a layout for the String Tuners and cut and drill that at the end of the Neck.

While I was examining the two pieces of wood that will make the sides of the Main Body I found one of them had two knots in it. The instructions say that all wood used should be free from knots, so I had to take care to lay the template out so that the knot would not be in the finished article. The small knot is close enough to the end of the wood that I could put the template beside it. The large knot in close enough to one side of the wood that the template fits around it.
 

And now we have our first glimpse of how these parts go together. If you are really observant you might notice that the Left Side (nearest the camera) is 45mm wide while the Right Side is only 40mm wide. The Nyckelharpa is not built symmetrically on purpose, because of the strings being played with the aid of Keys and Tangents and will be explained more when I get to the Keychest.

I have clamped the parts together to make sure that the templates all line up with each other across the joins (and so I can pick up and hold my (not so) soon to be Nyckelharpa).

In the process of cutting the sides I cut right through the middle of another small knot. Just for fun here is what the woodgrain looks like when I put the two pieces side by side, mirror style.

And finally, here we are. The Main Body Sides are cut, a bit rough in places, and ready for sanding. The End Block has had it's inside curve cut as well. The sides have been left uncut at the two ends to aid clamping when I get to glueing these together, this also means that the Sides and End Block can be cut in one go.

Well that's it for this time. Let's hope it won't be too long until next time!

2 comments:

  1. hi,
    I'm beginning to build a Soren Ahker's harpa.
    I'd like to know what kind of glue did you use for the body's pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.violincompany.co.uk/tools.php

      It's been a while now, but this looks like the stuff. It is holding together just fine.

      Delete