Wednesday 21 September 2016

Chapter 1: The Prologue

For a while I have wished I could play the Violin but the thought of trying to find the right note unaided on an open string has always put me off. While I have always listened to rock or metal music I also like classical and Irish / Celtic music and that is part of what drew me to the Violin.
Some years ago I saw Dead Can Dance in concert and saw an alternative instrument called the Hurdy-gurdy. It uses keys to touch the strings for each note so it removes the problem of learning to get your fingers in the exact spot, but instead of the bow it uses a wheel turned by a crank to vibrate the strings. The Hurdy-gurdy is a bit limited for my liking as it can only be played on one string at a time (excluding the drone string). Some do have a few strings that you can switch between, but it's not practical mid-song.
A few months ago I came across a band on YouTube called Triskilian and one of them was playing an instrument called a Nyckelharpa and I found what I was looking for. It has a body similar to a Violin but larger, keys like a Hurdy-gurdy, is played with a bow, and multiple strings like a Violin.

A search of the internet again found some useful webites
UK Nyckelharpa Society
Nyckelharpa UK run by Vicki Swan a music teacher.
American Nyckelharpa Association
Holzman Folk Traditions an American maker who can also provide a kit.

I have now bought plans and a kit from a Swedish Nyckelharpa maker, Sören Åhker.

So now I have to turn this into a working instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment